There are many things to do in Granton, Ireland, including visiting historic sites and enjoying the waterfront. You can take a guided heritage tour of Granton, and learn about the industries that once thrived in this town. The waterfront also features a number of free attractions, including nine small plinths, each featuring a postcard-sized design created by local primary schools.
Visit the harbour
The harbour in Granton dates back to the 1830s. The area was not yet fully developed and the harbour was located on the Water of Leith. At that time, the town had two small docks – East and West Old Docks. These docks were suitable for passing vessels, but were insufficient to unload heavy cargoes. Hence, a major deep-water harbour was required in the area.
Today, Granton is part of a large, ongoing waterfront regeneration project. The harbour is a major part of Edinburgh’s maritime history. At one time, it was an important port for coal, raw paper materials and fishing. It was home to as many as eighty trawlers during World War II.
It is an excellent harbour to visit when traveling by boat. Currently, the harbour is home to the Royal Fourth Yacht Club and the Forth Corinthian Yacht Club. While the harbour is not a marina, it is an excellent base for sailing excursions, namely on the Forth. It is also a hub for the Forth Pilot Boats.
The harbour was developed as a coal export port, and later as an import port for esparto grass and petroleum. During World War I, the harbour was also home to the HMS Lochinvar minesweeping training facility. Its stone quarry also provided stone for Holyrood Palace. The town was also home to Britain’s oldest car factory, the Madelvic Motor Carriage Company.
The town is easily accessible by train. The Burntisland railway station was part of the main East Coast railway line, and was used by both local and long-distance trains. Local passenger trains and goods trains operated until the year 1926. Later, tram and omnibus services were integrated.
Take a walk along the promenade
A walk along the promenade in Grantoun is an enjoyable way to enjoy the town’s waterfront and to get a glimpse of the area’s history. It is a popular spot for families and groups of people who want to enjoy the scenery. It is also home to many public art installations. The promenade is also popular with joggers and cyclists.
The Granton promenade is about two miles long and runs along the Cramond Foreshore. Its breakwater offers spectacular views of the Firth of Forth. You can also catch a glimpse of the Forth Bridges and the nearby Fife. The breakwater offers a great vantage point from which to watch the Firth and the Forth Bridges.
You can also check out Granton Castle, a crumbling ruin west of Leith. Its municipal beauty makes it a perfect place for a photo shoot. Granton Castle is an example of the city’s history. It was built in the 1830s and was owned by the Duke of Buccleuch.
For those looking for a more relaxing walk, take a stroll along the Promenade Plantee. Located high above the city’s streets, this elevated section was made as a respite from the busy streets below. It is a beautiful green space with lush shade, roses, and tranquil reflection ponds.
Ride a bike
If you’re looking for a new place to ride a bike, Granton’s waterfront offers plenty of opportunities for cycling. The city is home to the Victorian Downhill Mountain Bike Series and Fat Tyre Flyers, a national bike racing team. The town is also home to the Silverknows Esplanade.
There are several cycle paths in the Granton area, the longest of which leaves from West Harbour Road, opposite the Granton Harbour redevelopment site. The path has good lighting and crosses the Saltire Square. It then continues alongside the West Granton Access Road before terminating at the red Ferry Road bridge. Bikers can take a left turn to access the Five Ways cycle path, or continue straight across the Ferry Road bridge to reach the junction with the Roseburn path and the Craigleith & Telford cycle paths.
Visit Caroline House
When in Edinburgh, don’t miss the chance to visit Caroline House in Granton. This beautiful mansion dates back to 1638 and was built for the Mackenzie family. It was originally called Royston House, and the first owners were Sir George and Caroline. The house is a designated English heritage site, and was restored and remodeled in the 20th century.
The house is still used as a residential home, although it no longer has a garden. The interior has fine plaster-work ceilings by Italian craftsmen, a German iron-work balustrade, and woodcarving. The exterior of the building features a slated balloon roof. The house was sold by the Duke of Buccleuch in the late 80s, but it has only recently been restored to domestic use.
The estate was gradually reduced after the arrival of the Buccleuchs, who were interested in industrialising the town. In addition to Caroline House, the Buccleuch family also owned a quarry on the shore. They also built a railway between Perth and Edinburgh, which included a large gasworks to the west.
The house was originally surrounded by ornamental gardens. However, these gardens were reduced over the years and were virtually wiped out by the end of the eighteenth century. The house is situated near the Granton Burn, which ran nearby. You can trace this line on an 1896 map. A rusticated stonework gate was built in the north east of the estate, when Waterfont Avenue was built.
There are several groups and individuals concerned about the proposed transport corridor. The Caroline Park Association supports the Waterfront Edinburgh development plan. The proposed transportation corridor interferes with the park’s curtilage. The proposed corridor also threatens the building’s setting.